Today is the day. I'm officially in a new age bracket. Today is the day I turned 30. And on such days, it's fun to look back at what was going on the year you were born. Back in 1981:
1. The first DeLorean sports cars roll off the assembly line.
2. Prince Charles and Diana Spencer marry July 29.
3. Music Television was born
4. Tom Cruise makes his acting debut.
5. Sandra Day O'Connor becomes first female Supreme Court Justice.
6. A stamp only cost $.15!
7. The 1st space shuttle called the Columbia launches for the first time.
8. Olivia Newton John's song, "Let's Get Physicial" is a number one hit.
9. The US Agriculture Department tries making ketchup a school lunch vegetable
10. Atari releases home version of Pac-Man in the US and sparks a huge craze
It seems to me that most people "my age" don't really freak out too much about turning 30, and I didn't think I would either. But to be honest, it's a little unnerving to say that I'm no longer in my 20's. Not that I feel like I'm old and playing my last round, but there's something different, something, "maturing", about turning 30. Here are just a few things I've realized about myself now that I'm thirty and officially an adult.
1. Coloring my hair is no longer just for fun. It really is a necessity to hide all those grays.
2. Staying up past midnight is absolutely crazy and if I chose to be so nuts, it will take me at least 24 to 48 hours to recover from loss of sleep.
3. My body does not bounce back the way it once did.
4. I now relish a cup of coffee.
5. Naps are a gift from God.
6. The experience of being a wife and a mother far out-way the fun I had as a 20 something girl, playing the field.
7. Staying at home on a Friday night, curled up on the couch with my husband is my idea of a fabulous date.
8. Friendships are not disposable and it's important to put forth the effort to keep them active, alive and healthy.
9. Staying true to my convictions as a Christ follower are of greater importance than trying to fit in with the main stream society.
10. God willing, I've only lived a third of my life!
Those are just ten of many things I've realized and I'm sure the next 30 years will bring about more epiphanies. I know in just the upcoming year I have a lot to look forward to! Here's to you 30. May you be the beginning of a great era in my life.
More Things You Can Do With a Muffin - I'm beginning to realize that muffins have a surprising range of uses. My regular readers may recall that I recently tried to use them to win a man's affec...
5 days ago