Friday, February 25, 2011

Totally Hooked on Cloth

So Dominic's arrival is just a couple of weeks away (or it could be tomorrow, who knows). As I've shared with you, we're getting ready to cloth diaper our little guy this time around and I am already completely sold out to cloth diapering without even trying it. I'm addicted to the cuter than cute fluff that is available for babies and the idea of saving THOUSANDS of dollars on diapers makes me giddy with glee!

This coming Monday, I'm hosting a Cloth Diapering party at my house and I'm so excited! Kristi Rooks from Hip Green Baby is coming to give demonstrations on how to use cloth diapers and give a run down on what options are available right now for cloth diapering families. Not only does she sell some of the major brands of cloth diapers (FuzziBunz, SoftBums, Kissaluvs, Thirsties, etc), she also makes her own. Now, you all know I'm a sucker for people that craft their own things, so her innovation and devotion to making her own cloth diapers to sell brings a smile to my face. WAY TO GO! I've got 6 other mommies that are going to be attending and I'm hoping that they're going to fall in love with cloth as much as I have.

So far, I've purchased 4 Fuzzibunz diapers, 3 Bum Genius 4.0's, and 1 Thirsties Diaper cover (planning on purchasing some prefolds from Kristi on Monday). I ordered all of these from Kellys Closet, an amazing cloth diapering online store and resource center. They also have a fantastic blog called The Cloth Diaper Whisperer that I've started following. One of the deals that the store had was that if you purchased $59 in cloth diapers, you could receive a FREE cloth diaper (up to a $22 value). Well, I was going to be purchasing my initial stash, so I said, "Sign me up!" When all my sweet fluff came in the mail a couple of weeks ago, inside was a Sunshine Yellow Rumparooz. SOOO CUTE! I'm also planning on purchasing some SoftBums diapers on Monday. I've already seen Kristi do a demonstration at another friends house and she's amazing. I was very impressed with how knowledgeable she was about cloth diapering. I also appreciated that she taught us about cloth diapering in such a way that the fear often associated with moving from disposables to cloth lessened a great deal. I can not wait to put Dominic in these diapers. I've actually been considering putting Gabriel in a cloth diaper at night and moving away from using disposables all together for him, especially since he only uses one a day.

Don't be surprised if my blog starts to have more cloth diapering posts. Eventually, I'm even going to start making my own wipes. I'm all about saving a buck and transitioning to this style of living is going to save us hundreds!

4 comments:

  1. I am totally excited for you! I use G Diapers and thirsties. I love them and would never go back to throw aways. I hate to cover my daughter's bum...the diapers are too cute to cover!! Enjoy your new diaper venture....and your new bundle:)
    Gentle Lenihan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are going to do cloth from day one. I didn't start till my second (Allyson) was about 18 months old, and I really wished I had known how comfy and cute they were, and how washing diapers was no big deal at all.

    I've tried to convince lots of other moms to try them, but Gentle was the only one who listened. For some reason everyone else I talked to thought I was insane.

    I think it's great you're having a diaper party to show people what they are really like. Hopefully some other moms will get the vision.

    You know, something to keep in mind for when you need them again.... you should really think about cloth menstrual pads. They are SOOO much more comfortable than disposables, and they're even less trouble to wash than diapers. (And though I had no idea how much this would matter to me, they're also really pretty.) When you feel how soft your baby's CD's are, think about that same "jammies" softness for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to second Sarah's comment about the mom pads! So soft, comfy, earth friendly, money saving, and easy to clean, store, and transport:)
    Gentle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer a keeper (aka diva cup, moon cup). I also love hemp breast pads for nursing. They're so soft!

    ReplyDelete