Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Frugal Freeland

I believe I have reached a point of frugality that is cool. The days of Swedish Massages from Olga and pedicures from Hong Hanh (whose American name is Lisa) are LONG gone. About 10 years ago, being frugal was like wearing plaid with stripes. It just didn't work. You were not considered "cool" if you clipped coupons, shopped the clearance rack, or used freecycle.org. Now we're in the present day. Times are different. Both Michael and I are busting it to try to keep our little family of three afloat on one income. I'm a nut when it comes to the Grocery Game, following Slick Deals on Twitter, and am a frequent peruser of FreeCycle. No longer is there shame or stigma attached to hauling in 40 coupons with you when you check out at Kroger or Tom Thumb. Far off are the times when buying anything in a resale shop would consider you of lesser socioeconomic status. Times have changed. Everyone is in the same boat, the Gotta Get a Deal boat.

Earlier this afternoon, one of my best friends and I were talking excitedly about planning a day date of going to Thrift World (the best Resale/Goodwill-esk type store this side of Dallas). I told her I had some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and she suggested we make a trip. What a great idea, Carissa! The money had been put aside for some new clothes anyway, but the thought of buying actual "NEW" clothes made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. I can't pay full price for anything anymore. So what if it's gently used? If I'm getting it for a $1, vs. $40 at Macy's, who's the sucker?

My transition into Frugal Land has also made my husband thrilled beyond belief. We both get a feeling of joy after planning out our grocery list, taking the time to clip the coupons, and ringing up a whole cart of groceries, having the check out lady hand us a receipt saying we saved 50% or more. (Thank you Grocery Game and my coupon ammunition) It's our way of sticking it to the man...although I'm not quite sure what man we're really sticking it to...and what exactly are we sticking to him?

All of the hipsters are now on the cheap, tightwad train just like me. I actually feel like I'm finally in the cool crowd, sitting at the popular table of prudent, penny-pinchers. Who knows, maybe I'll get nominated for prom queen this year. I'm pretty sure Thrift World has prom dresses on sale in March.

6 comments:

  1. You'll always be my coupon queen. You ladies will swing by at least on your TW day, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm becoming a citizen of Frugal Land, too. Thank you for telling us about the Grocery Game at MOPS. I'm saving up a couple weeks of coupons before I try my one-month trial. Can't wait to see how it all works. I had not heard of freecycle.com I'm going to check that out for sure.

    My big way to save money is making my own household cleaners and freezing leftovers so I can feed my family two or three times from one cooking session.

    Thanks for sharing your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, you make your own household cleaners??? That's awesome. you'll have to share your "recipes" with me!

    And I think it's freecycle.org. I need to change that in my post. It's an amazing program! I've been able to get rid of a lot of stuff in my house without filling up a landfill! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kristina, I am so excited to find your blog. And I agree on the used clothes, most of Mallory's clothes are from Ebay :). Look forward to seeing you next week at the playdate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristina I am so proud of you and Michael. I wish the grocery game would work better here in Salina. I have been receiving things from freecycle and when Dad and I go through stuff I am going to offer stuff on freecycle first before it gets thrown away or sent to Goodwill. You have made a great change from the young teenager who had to have name brand jeans from The Buckle:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristina, I saw the link to your blog on my cousin's blog (Laura) and I thought the grocery game sounded pretty interesting. Anyways, I signed up for a trial (we'll see if I stick it out...) it seems quite useful, wish I had known to save up on some coupons before starting the trial. They keep referencing old coupons on the list that I don't have. Anyways, I noticed there is a place to enter my referral, so if you want me to put you on there, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete